Epic Battles in 8mm
24 May 2020
COVID-19 has essentially halted GW releases, though it looks like they're ready to start their engines again. Looking forward to seeing The Defence of Ryza!
Added a link to the excellent, competitvely oriented God Engine Cast to the Links.
01 April 2020
GW has released more information on The Defence of Ryza book in their more-or-less weekly Engine Kill article.
- Features the Dark Mechanicum
- Loyalist Legios Honorum, Osedax, and Crucius (reprint)
- Traitor Legios Magna, Vulturum, and Mortis (reprint)
- As mentioned before, the book will contain expanded and (supposedly) balanced "Create Your Own Legio" rules
- The "Create Your Own" rules include Blackshield Legios — those that neither declared for the Emperor nor Horus
27 March 2020
The COVID-19 epidemic has caused a slow down in my update process, but Semper Titanicus!
Added a Links to the the excellent Shapeways page of Adeptus-Dad and his Proteus-Pattern Warhound from the old AT88 days.
13 March 2020
A few days ago at GAMA, GW revealed the next items in the que for AT18:
- A combined plastic kit with options for both Knight-Acheron and Knight-Castigator
- The next book will be The Defense of Ryza, and will feature "Build Your Own Legio" rules, Mechanicum Knights, as well as additional Legios, Knight Households, scenarios, etc.
04 March 2020
Unless you've been hiding under a rock, you know that GW has released version 1.1 of the AT18 FAQ that addresses most of the egregious balance issues with the game.
I will also slowly begin getting fluff from Shadow and Iron into the Titans section.
14 February 2020
Games Workshop had a Twitch feed on the new book, Shadow and Iron. There are many reviews of the book and its contents, so I will not repeat that here. However, highlights of the feed that stood out to me are:
- The Titanicus event at Warhammer World this weekend sold out twice — both initially and after they addded more tickets. AT18 has a good, dedicated fan base.
- Based on feedback, they will put more fluff detail into this and future books, Titan and Princeps names, etc.
- The revisedd and expanded Campaign Rules in this book show that players are wanting to link narrative scenarios.
- Cataclysm of Iron is a possible future title dealing with the conflict between many smaller forge worlds in the Belt of Iron, located between Segmentums Tempestus and Pacificus.
- Forge World clearly has a plan in place for Traitor Titans to start showing signs of corruption, and possibly even allowing for Chaos forces as they progress towards the Siege of Terra.
12 February 2020
Lots of cool stuff releasing this week:
- Warbringer Nemesis Titan
- Warlord Sinister Titan - via Forgeworld
- Shadow and Iron - rulebook
- Manufactorum Imperialis - terrain set
- Command Terminals
- Transfer sheets for Ignatum, Metalica, and Astorum
06 February 2020
More great news concerning the Shadow and Iron book available for pre-order this Friday. Features include:
- The book will cover both the Shadow Crusade, including Legio Audax (Ember Wolves), and the Crusade of Iron, featuring Legio Praesagius
- Includes rules for the Warlord-Sinister Psi-Titan and its Sinistramanus Tenebrae weapon system
- Rules for Legio Audax and the legendary Ursus Claw system
- Six new Titan Legios and Six new Knight Houses
29 January 2020
Games Workshop has made a major news announcement for both Adeptus Titanicus and Aeronautica Imperialis.
For AT18, the next book will be Shadow and Iron, dealing with the Crusade of Iron, following the Betrayal at Calth. It will include rules for Psi-Titans of the Ordo Sinister, as well as those for the Warbringer Nemesis Titan.
They will also release a new terrain set — Manufactorum Imperialis, with industrial terrain for the tabletop.
For AI19, the next book will be the Taros Air War campaign book.
For the Imperials, we get the Lightning fighter and the Valkyrie/Vendetta gunship. For the Tau, we'll see the Tigershark and Baraccuda.
All of this coming this spring.
06 January 2020
New Year's Open Day 2020 produced almost no AT18 news to speak of — only intimating that more substantial news would be coming "soon."
19 December 2019
The AT18 front has continued to be nigh-silent for the last month. We've know the next book will focus on Calth, but have almost no information on what will be in it, besides the historical context.
Given the roughly year-long lead time for plastic kits, the hope is that there are some new kits that will appear along with the book.
06 November 2019
It's been a little quiet on the AT18 & AI19 front for the past month or so, with the biggest real news being the release of the Ork Heavy Bommer. I expect that's because we'll see new material for both in the spring.
We know a Calth book is in the works for AT18, and I'd guess that Eldar would be the next logical expansion from AI19.
03 September 2019
This site will also be supporting Aeronautica Imperialis, which is a smashingly fun game if you've never tried it.
GW announced that it will share the same 8mm scale as AT18, though not the same ground scale, time scale, or rules.
Though AI19 is well worth playing on its own, I'll be figuring out aircraft "Command Terminals" for use with AT18.
19 July 2019
All the fluff data from Titandeath is now in the Titans section.
16 July 2019
Lots of great stuff on pre-order right now:
- Acastus Knights (2 per box) and Command Termonals (5 per box)
- Loyalist and Traitor Dice sets
- Loyalist and Traitor Stratagem Cards
- Loyalist and Traitor Titans of Legend Command Terminals
And notes from last week's AT18 Year One in Review Twitch stream:
- Future books - Seige of Kado (Hive world of Kado), Battle of Calth and Shadow Crusades (Ultramar)
- Horus Heresy is fun because that's when the Mechanicum and Legios pulled out all the stops
- At 8mm scale you can do far bigger battles than even Apocalypse - that's the goal
- Andy and James Hewitt did most of the base rules
- Owen and JTY have the helm for the game now
- They did plastic because if AT was popular, it would consume FW's capacity, but this took (and continues to take) time
- The game was designed to be stately, as Titans tend to move slow, much like battleships
- Titan machine spirits have personalities, though they are not strictly intelligent
- Titans of Legend are those that have more divergent personalities - and thus special rules
- Molech book provided Knight only armies, even though their intent is to provide support
- Knight only armies tend to have high casualties vs Titans - this was intentional
- July White Dwarf has a collection of Legio Traits, Strategems, etc. for making your own Legio or splinter of an existing one
- First AT rules in WD for 30 years!
- Acastus Knight is obviously on the way - largest knight
- Most Knights are like cavalry - Acastus is like artillery
30 May 2019
Added some more great Links, including more terrain manufacturers and the first AT podcast.
Also, FW did another Twitch stream that had some news:
- Acastus Knights will be the largest Knight class, and will come 2 per box
- The Knight Questoris upgrade sprue will be sold in blisters of 2, and will have 6 power gauntlets, 3 shoulder weapons, and 3 heads
- Loyalist and Traitor Strategem decks will have 26 cards each, some Legio specific and some general
- Loyalist and Traitor Legendary Titan Command Terminals will have 5 Titans each, and will be a good mix of Legios and Titan classes
- The most popular decal sets will remain in print, but many of the others will be printed only once
- Knight Command Terminals will be restocked in August
- The game has proven more popular than they anticipated, and has a strong community of people who like the grand scale
13 May 2019
Lots of exciting Titanicus news from the weekend:
- Apocalypse Missile Launcher coming for the Reaver — and evetually more missile types
- Vulcan Mega-Bolter also coming for the Reaver
- Questoris Knight Upgrade sprue is also coming, with missing weapon types
- Supposedly, all the basic weapons for the Reaver and Warlord have been designed and will be seen by summertime
- Acastus Knights are coming in plastic - likely 2/box and 60mm base
- Loyalist and Traitor Dice sets are on the way
- Legio Atarus and Legio Tempestus transfer sheets coming
- Loyalist and Traitor Strategem decks also in the works
- Loyalist and Traitor Titans of Legend command terminals for specific names Titans — I think this one sounds very cool!
- At least 4 scenery kits, including silos, turbines and barricades
- AND Aeronautica Imperialis is coming back — though they have not specifically stated the scale, I would expect it to be the same as the new AT
25 April 2019
I've added the Karsh XII Campaign, a series of 6 linked scenarios, to the Game section.
17 April 2019
Doom of Molech is on pre-order at GW, and should be released on the 26th of this month. I'm really looking forward to the new Maniples and Strategems, as well as being curious how they're going to deal with all-Knight forces.
01 Aptil 2019
Added a couple more sites to the Links section, and have been working on my 2 foot x 2 foot modular board system, constructed on 1/8 inch styrene. Pictures will eventually make it to the Hobby page once I get the HTML sorted.
21 March 2019
GW had a live stream on Doom of Molech, with lots of great information:
- New Legios are Crucius (Warmongers), Fortidus (Dauntless), Vulcanum (Dark Fire/Lords of Ruin), and Interfector (Murder Lords)
- New Maniples include Fortis Battle (Warlord and Reavers) and Ferrox Light (Reaver and Warhounds)
- Knight Houses covered include House Devine, House Donar, House Indra, House Casker, House Cowshik, House Mamaragon, and House Tazkhar
- Battlefields include steam, ruins, cities, and other types less lethal than those in Titandeath
- They will continue to include new Legios and new Knight Houses in each new product, moving from most famous down
- All Knight forces are now possible. Banners group into Lances, and Lances can have Cammanders and retinues
- They will produce a card pack with Knight Strategems, though this is also in the book
- Beast Hunts will form a new kind of Matched Play sceanrio. At least three different beasts are included
- They expect to do a combined Loyalist and combines Traitor Kight House decal sheet
19 March 2019
GW has released the First Preview of Doom of Molech. Interesting highlights include:
- Focus on the Knight world of Molech
- 6 new narrative scenarios
- A new Matched Play mission against the mighty beasts that roam Molech
- New battlefield conditions and Strategems
- Lots of rules related to fielding all-Knight forces
- Rules for 4 new Legios: Crucius, Fortidus, Vulcanum, and Interfector
18 February 2019
My copy of Titandeath has finally arrived. Expect the fluff to start filtering into the Titans section over the coming weeks.
My very brief review:
- The background (fluff) section is short, but excellent. Considering how little background exists, almost anything is welcome.
- The rules for the eight Legios are also very good (Legios Astorum, Defensor, Aratus, Solaria, Mortis, Krytos, Fureans, and Vulpa). This greatly expands the selection of official Legios, and is getting to be enough that homebrew Legios can pick one as a "counts as," since there's bound to be one close to your own concept.
- The four additional Maniples are also great. These also add options and flavor to the game.
- The narrative missions are so-so. While each mission is decent enough in its own right, they don't really feel connected to the greater narrative of the book. I would have prefered a narrative campaign focused on a smaller slice of the conflict.
- The campaign system is very sparse, giving the bare bones for creating linked games, either event or map based. It would take quite a bit of work to flesh this out to something resembling a narrative campaign.
- The hostile battlefields section is very hit or miss, and leans more towards miss. The environmental effects therein tend to be overly deadly, to the point where they would dominate the game more than the players' actions.
- Overall, this book is a must have for any AT player, but don't expect all of it to shine.
11 February 2019
Added a few things to the Links section while I wait for Titandeath to show up.
05 February 2019
The Horus Heresy Weekender yielded quite a bit of AT18 news. Some of the high points:
- Doom of Molech will be the next book, and will include
- New Legios, including Legio Crucius (Warmongers), Legio Fortidus (Dauntless), Legio Vulcanum (Dirk Fire and Lords of Ruin), and Legio Interfector (Murder Lords)
- New Maniples, including an All-Kight Maniple
- 7 Knight Houses, including House Devine
- Kight and Titan Strategems
- New plastic building spires for Civitas Imperialis in plastic
- Resin Titan weapons will start coming out and will be available a-la-carte
- Grand Master Edition will be re-released for a limited time
- The Ordo Sinister will likely make an appearance in the book following Doom of Molech
- "Character Titans" are in the works for the future
- An Imperator kit would be very large and is still not in the plans
- Epic could be done as an expansion, but that's something for long down the road
22 January 2019
Titandeath will be released on January 26th, along with a Warlord Weapon Sprue that provides Plasma Annihilators, Laser Blasters, and Arioch Power Claw.
With the wealth of fluff that's in the new book, I'm looking forward to adding to the Titans files.
07 January 2019
Just this last weekend, Titandeath was further teased by GW, and should be out late this month if rumors are correct.
Also of interest to AT fans, Dan Abnett announced that he will eventually write a sequel to his excellent novel Titanicus, though it could be years befre that comes to pass.
I've posted a couple more terrain companies in the Links section, and though I've had hobby progress, I'm having issues coding it, so "soon."
01 November 2018
All the fluff from the AT18 rulebook is now in the Titans section.
29 October 2018
Forge World had a live stream about the future of AT18, and they have big plans… Assuming that the game's sales support those plans ofer time
A very, very short and incomplete summary:
- The first expansion book, Titandeath will be out in early 2019
- 100 pages dealing with the Beta Garmon campaign, with more Maniples, more Legios, more weapons/equipment, and a campaign system
- They plan to add new Titan classes up and down the current range
- More campaign books will follow with more battlefields and all the attendant goodies
- Psi-Titans will happen, as will Ursus Claws
- They want to expand the line slowly
- They plan to stay withing the confines of the Horus Heresy for the forseeable future
18 October 2018
Warhounds are now in the hands of players almost everywhere, completing the basic units for the game.
Sadly, GW has been silent on what's next for the game. There's plenty of things they've said they're going to do:
- Weapons packs for the current Titans
- The expansion book Titanfall with additional Legios and other expansion material
- More Titan classes
But they have not put any of it on their schedule yet, so there's no real way to tell what will come when. We'll just have to wait and see.
02 October 2018
A cool blog post: Gargants at Death of a Rubricist. Try them out!
01 October 2018
The upcoming release of the Warhound in two weeks will finish off the miniatures for basic units in the game — at long last.
I've also added a few more resources to the Links.
And more progress on my Quad Tower project in the Hobby area.
04 September 2018
Updated the Legios file in the Titans section with information out of the AT Rulebook.
Also started my first building project in the Hobby area.
23 August 2018
At long last, my Grand Master box has arrived, and it's amazing. Thankfully I've already had the rules in hand for almost a week, and I think my first projects will be:
- A Command Terminal for the Capitol Imperialis.
- Laser cut files for acrylic Command Terminals.
- Making an Imperial Cathedral from some of the building sprues.
15 August 2018
Welcome to Legio Titanicus!
AT18, which differentiates from the 1988 release of AT88, hits the shelves on 18 August 2018.
This site will have supplemental game material, information on Titans and Titan Legions, hobby logs and how-tos, and links to other resources around the web.
Things will be UNDER CONSTRUCTION for the next week or two while I digest the new rules, background, etc. Please pardon the dust.